Failed to log in to app (Ubuntu 18.04)

Bug report

After downloading the .deb package I couldn’t launch the app. I then followed the steps in Ubuntu 18.04 (stopped current inkdrop process, installed missing deps) and launched inkdrop again. This it launched but logging in throws the following error:

Error message:
Failed to store user ID to Keychain. This is usually a permission issue and you may need to restart your computer.
Status code:

Restarting the system and trying again seems to make no difference.

Info

• Platform: Kubuntu (Ubuntu)
  • Platform version: 18.04
  • App Version: 3.20.1

Hi Dan,

Thank you for reporting.
I guess this is a gnome-keyring problem.
Could you run the app from terminal and check error messages?
If there’s an additional information, please search the web with it.

$ inkdrop
Gkr-Message: 13:46:50.293: secret service operation failed: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files
Gkr-Message: 13:46:50.516: secret service operation failed: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files
Gkr-Message: 13:46:50.520: secret service operation failed: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files
Gkr-Message: 13:46:50.529: secret service operation failed: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files
Gkr-Message: 13:46:51.825: secret service operation failed: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files

(inkdrop:12242): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 13:46:52.104: About to Show called on an item wihtout submenus.  We're ignoring it.

(inkdrop:12242): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 13:46:52.146: About to Show called on an item wihtout submenus.  We're ignoring it.

(inkdrop:12242): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 13:46:52.148: About to Show called on an item wihtout submenus.  We're ignoring it.

No error messages when you tried to log in?

FYI: Just upgraded to Fedora 28 with GNOME Shell 3.28.2. I had no problems afterwards.

@anon62473734 Hope you can figure it out soon.

@craftzdog Yes, the error message in the issue description (OP) is what I get when I attempt to login:

Error message:
Failed to store user ID to Keychain. This is usually a permission issue and you may need to restart your computer.
Status code:

@anon29127703 Thanks! Sounds like I’m on a pretty different setup to you though (Kubuntu 18, KDE 5).

Hmm, I need to reproduce it but it seems to be difficult…
Here is a list of packages installed on my Ubuntu 18.04:

Maybe you can find missing packages on your machine.
I don’t know which one is necessary for your environment but I hope it helps.

Still looking into missing packages, the diff between your system’s output and mine is quite complex. In the meantime, here are a couple screenshots of what I see when trying to login…

Initial error on failed login:

Further error detail having clicked “View Error Detail”:

Hope that helps.

Do you have libsecret-1-0 installed?
Inkdrop uses keytar to store credentials and I found that the app uses kind of old version now.
I’ll update it in the next release.

It seems that I do have libsecret-1-0 installed:

$ apt list --installed | grep "libsecret"

libsecret-1-0/bionic,now 0.18.6-1 amd64 [installed]
libsecret-common/bionic,bionic,now 0.18.6-1 all [installed]

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this one!

Hi,

I built with the latest version of keytar. Could you try it?

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/inkdrop-dist/v3.20.2/inkdrop_3.20.2_amd64.deb

Hope it works.

That version installs fine but doesn’t launch (I never see a login screen).

That’s weird. It runs fine on my Ubuntu 18.04.
Please run it from terminal and check if there’s an error.
If not, I’m afraid that I can’t solve the problem.

Running from the commandline reveals the following error:

$ inkdrop
  app:info Quit because of duplicated instance +0ms

I’ve tried a couple different ways to uninstall the previous version, all seemed successful yet when I install this new .deb file I get the same error when trying to launch inkdrop from the commandline.

I did notice 2 different version numbers in the output when installing the .deb package:

Selecting previously unselected package inkdrop.
(Reading database ... 260905 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../inkdrop_3.20.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking inkdrop (3.20.2-1) ...
Setting up inkdrop (3.20.2-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
Done

This may be a red herring but I thought it worth sharing in case it meant more to you.

I’m currently trying to switch to Linux from macOS so I’m afraid I’m not overly familiar with duplicate instances etc. Sorry if I’ve missed something basic here!

Okay,

First you have to kill existing Inkdrop process which didn’t quit successfully for some reason. You can find existing process with following command:

ps aux | grep inkdrop

and run kill <pid>.
And then please launch the app again.

ps aux | grep inkdrop returns a process with a different ID each time. When I go to kill that process, the PID has already changed and I’m just told bash: kill: (<pid>) - No such process. E.g:

dan@dan-desktop:~$ ps aux | grep inkdrop
dan       3185  0.0  0.0  14428   988 pts/0    S+   19:05   0:00 grep --color=auto inkdrop
dan@dan-desktop:~$ kill 3185
bash: kill: (3185) - No such process
dan@dan-desktop:~$ ps aux | grep inkdrop
dan       3190  0.0  0.0  14428  1096 pts/0    S+   19:06   0:00 grep --color=auto inkdrop

That’s because, as you can see, the process you tried to kill is grep itself.
It seems that the inkdrop process doesn’t exist anymore. I guess you rebooted your computer?
You should be able to run the app again.

Right, I see, thanks. Either way, it still doesn’t work.

I’m afraid that I can’t reproduce that problem.
I also tried to run it on Kubuntu 18.04 which is the same setup as you and the app successfully launched.
What I did is just as follows:

sudo apt-get install libgconf2-4 libcanberra-gtk-module libgnome-keyring0 gnome-keyring

And keyring worked fine to store my credentials.

Sorry but I can’t help you since it is your environment problem.

Here is a package list installed on my Kubuntu:

Hope that helps.

1 Like