Installing Inkdrop on Ubuntu 14.04

Bug report

I installed the client app from a .deb package, however running inkdrop from command line yields the following error message:

app:error Failed to init app: Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.fnQzAT)
  at process.module.(anonymous function) [as dlopen] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:173:20)
  at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:598:18)
  at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:187:18)
  at Module.load (module.js:488:32)
  at tryModuleLoad (module.js:447:12)
  at Function.Module._load (module.js:439:3)
  at Module.require (module.js:498:17)
  at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
  at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/node_modules/keytar/lib/keytar.js:4:12)
  at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/node_modules/keytar/lib/keytar.js:58:4)
  at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/node_modules/keytar/lib/keytar.js:60:3)
  at Module._compile (module.js:571:32)
  at Object.value [as .js] (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/main.js:1:37003)
  at Module.load (module.js:488:32)
  at tryModuleLoad (module.js:447:12)
  at Function.Module._load (module.js:439:3)
  at Module.require (module.js:498:17)
  at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
  at Object.defineProperty.value (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/main.js:1:106995)
  at t (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/main.js:1:276)
  at Object.defineProperty.value (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/main.js:1:101448)
  at t (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/main.js:1:276)
  at w.init (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/main.js:1:11024)
  at App.i.app.makeSingleInstance.i.app.on (/usr/lib/inkdrop/resources/app.asar/main.js:1:9947)
  at emitTwo (events.js:111:20)
  at App.emit (events.js:194:7)
 +0ms
  Rollbar:error Received error: Over free plan monthly limit. Project id 57343 access token b1af6b4a263447d8963dfe2650804b29. +0ms

I’ve tried a few solutions online for errors related to libstdc++ (e.g. https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/issues/4953, https://askubuntu.com/questions/575505/glibcxx-3-4-20-not-found-how-to-fix-this-error), however none of these seemed to fix the issue in this case.

Info

• Platform: (Ubuntu)
  • Platform version: (14.04)
  • App Version: (3.9.0)

Reproduce

1. Download the .deb package from https://d3ip0rje8grhnl.cloudfront.net/v3.14.2/inkdrop_3.14.2_amd64.deb
  2. Install using dpkg -i /path/to/inkdrop_3.14.2_amd64.deb
  3. Start app from terminal using inkdrop

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for reporting.
The recommended environment is Ubuntu 16.04 because the binary for linux is built on it.
I’ve also got a report that it won’t run on Debian 8.x due to similar problem from some people.
Seems like I have to build it on older environment in order to avoid this error.

I’ll look into it.
Thanks again!

Hi Takuya,

Thanks so much for your help! I’ll give it a try on 16.04, but please let me know if you manage to get it running on 14.04!

Hi,

Could you try this binary?
I built it on Ubuntu 12.04 so I guess it should work.
https://d3ip0rje8grhnl.cloudfront.net/v3.14.2/inkdrop_3.14.2_amd64_2.deb

It worked! Thanks so much!

When I originally installed using dpkg the installation failed with this error:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of inkdrop:
 inkdrop depends on libgconf2-4; however:
  Package libgconf2-4 is not installed.

but installing libgconf2-4 fixed the problem right away.

Although that said I seem to be having another problem with this build where the enter key doesn’t insert a new line (although shift-enter does). I’ve not played around with the keymaps at all, so could this be related to the platform?

that’s weird, i’ll check it. thanks for reporting!

The dependency on libgconf2-4 is intended, it is for the latest electron.
I fixed the return key problem. This was due to an un-released change for the new version. Could you try it again with this binary?

Great, that seems to have fixed the problem! Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Glad to hear that!
Okay, I’ll keep building it on Ubuntu 12.04 from next version.