Matching notes to backup JSON files

I recently accidentally overwrote a note which then synced. Having no access to note version history in the app I checked my backup folder in Google Drive. The naming convention for the JSON files in the data directory (e.g. note:HJyRKWYqz.json) made it very tricky to figure out which one corresponded to the note in question. Is there a way to view this unique note string in the app easily so that I can see which backup a note corresponds to?

Hi Dan,

You can get an ID of note currently opened by following steps:

1. Open up Developer Tools
  2. Enter below code in the console:
    inkdrop.flux.getStore('editor').state.noteId

However, your note in backup has been also overwritten because it syncs almost immediately.
Hope that helps.

However, your note in backup has been also overwritten because it syncs almost immediately.

Which is why I’m backing up to a directory that’s synced to a service that versions the file changes :wink:

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Wow, nice idea!

Wow, nice idea!

Thanks!

Just tried the JS snippet you provided and noted that the console doesn’t support copy & paste! Is there any way we can make this info easier to get to from the Inkdrop GUI?

Weird, I confirmed that copy&paste works on macOS and Linux just now. Maybe context menu should help.

Yeah, just tried it again, still no copy/paste for me for some strange reason.

Maybe context menu should help.

Context menu in Inkdrop? Yes, that would be great!

Yeah, you should be able to use a context menu which has items to copy & paste by right-clicking on the console.