Pin notes and reminder

Hi @craftzdog,

if you are still looking for ideas for the next roadmap, these things came to my mind:

• Pin notes to the top: Allows you to pin certain notes to the top of a notebook
  • Reminder for notes

A major thing would be:

• Plugins for mobile

But I am not sure if that is even possible! :thinking:

Let me know what you think, could also imagine developing a plugin if u reckon these things are not a fit for the next roadmap. :wink:

Cheers,
Andi

1 Like

Hi andi,

Thank you for the suggestion.
Iā€™m writing a draft of the roadmap right now.
It will be soon announced to the paid users first.

Those two features would be nice to have.
Pin notes to the top is similar to Evernoteā€™s Shortcuts feature.
We need to discuss which one would be better.
I pesonally like shortcuts.

Reminder for notes would be more like a todo app feature.
As a note-taking app, I would rather focus on features for editing and organizing.
So it would be nice to be a plugin.

I have written a blogpost about plugins for mobile.
Please check out.

I will make a place to discuss about the next roadmap soon. Please wait for a while!

Thanks again for letting me know your thoughts.

1 Like

Cool, makes sense!

Thx for the article was quite interesting.

Hello @craftzdog, Iā€™m curious if youā€™re still interested in the pinned notes suggestion. For my work, I currently have a few common reference notes I use daily, like:

• Development instructions for pushing to staging
  • Settings reference for my development environment
  • Debugging configuration

I normally have my notebook configured to sort by most recently updated. This is great for my daily work and logging, where my most relevant notes are near the top, but this causes my reference notes to churn down to the bottom of the list since they are infrequently updated.

Currently thereā€™s a couple different ways I currently handle this:

• Type the name of the note into ā€œFilterā€, view the note, and then backspace the filter when done
  • Add a ā€œpinnedā€ tag to the note, then click into the ā€œpinnedā€ tag, view the note, then click back into the regular notebook when done

These both work fine, but take me out of my regular workflow switching between notes. Ideally, Iā€™d just like to be able to click a ā€œPinā€ icon (similar to Notable) and keep the reference notes at the top of the notebook so I do not need to keep switching states to find them.

For pinning order, Iā€™m fine if the pinned notes are sorted by date updated, name, or date pinned, as long as I can easily find them at the top of my notebook. Thank you!

Hi @alecg,
How about moving your frequently accessed notes to other notebook named like ā€˜Routinesā€™?
Please let me know why this does not work for you.

Hi @alecg,
How about moving your frequently accessed notes to other notebook named like ā€˜Routinesā€™?
Please let me know why this does not work for you.

This is a fine suggestion, and it works similar to the ā€œpinnedā€ tag workaround I mentioned above. The issue is when I have routines for several projects and I donā€™t want those to all get combined, I need to create a notebook for each project:

• Project 1
  • Project 1 Routines
  • Project 2
  • Project 2 Routines
  • Project 3
  • etc.

This adds a lot of new structure and notebook switching that makes Inkdrop a little more inconvenient.

Another use-case is that sometimes I want to reference a particular note temporarily. For example, I might want to reference my ā€œIssue 123ā€ and ā€œIssue 124ā€ notes heavily for one day while Iā€™m working on a problem related to those two issues. My preferred way would be to pin those notes, easily switch between them and my other active notes, and then unpin when Iā€™m done. My alternative with notebooks would be to move both notes out of my Project 1 notebook into my Project 1 Routines notebook, switch notebooks twice every time I need to reference those notes, and then move it back to the Project 1 notebook when itā€™s done. This switching back and forth between notebooks is cumbersome, since my main work will still be in the Project 1 notebook.

Everything is possible with tags and separate notebooks, it just takes more GUI steps to view my important notes.

Alternatively, if you have a Inkdrop component hook that can be used to make a custom sort ordering, Iā€™d be happy to implement a plugin to do this. The main thing Iā€™d like is to avoid needing to switch tags/notebooks multiple times when working within the same project.

1 Like

Thank you for such a detailed explanation.
Now I understand what you exactly want to do with notes.
Inkdrop indexes notes for sorting quickly, so it wouldnā€™t be possible to accomplish pinning feature with a plugin. Though you can make a feature like ā€˜bookmarksā€™ of browsers instead by extending the UI.
Since the feature requires to change how it indexes notes, it would be a big change in terms of implementation.
So please let me finish the current roadmap first, which is almost done already.
When planning the next roadmap, I absolutely discuss about this feature with other users!

Thank you @craftzdog!

Iā€™m not sure how important a pinning feature is if you say itā€™s a big implementation change but I like to add that itā€™s a useful feature nevertheless.
A simple use case that occurred to me:
I organize my todos in multiple lists like ā€œurgentā€ ā€œimportantā€ and so on. Pinning the ā€œurgentā€ list to the top would help in organizing this and Iā€™m sure there are a lot of other usecases.

@anon79621346 Thanks for letting me know your usecase. Actually Iā€™m planning it in the next roadmap (you canā€™t see the draft of it because the topic is only visible to paid users).
Iā€™ll announce it officially soon!

Actually Iā€™m planning it in the next roadmap

Great news, thanks!

you canā€™t see the draft of it because the topic is only visible to paid users

Thatā€™s okay Iā€™ll be a paid user very soon :smile:

Hi,

I am also interested in this feature as well!

I came from Bear app (has only OSX version of markdown editor), and it had a pinning feature that I used for my important notes (things like To Dos, or Priorities for the Day)

I would love to see this implemented!

Thanks,

@anon13196709 Yep, it is planned in the current roadmap:

Pin-to-top is landed in v5.0.0 :tada:

1 Like

Thank you @craftzdog! I really appreciate the implementation of the pin feature.

1 Like

The pin notes feature is great, but I was wondering if it was possible to add a ā€œpin to top of notebookā€ option a long with the current global pin to top. The pin to top feature is really useful to keep track of currently important notes in general but this per notebook option would make for a really neat way to keep track of/mark important notes in relation to a subject/group of notes (the notebook)

Hi @Magnus,

If you donā€™t want to see pinned notes on top in ā€œAll Notesā€, try setting the following custom style in styles.less:

.query-context-mode-all {
  .note-list-bar-pinned-section, .note-list-bar-item.pinned, .note-list-bar-pinned-section-footer {
    display: none;
  }
}

UPDATE:

Hmm, it also hides pinned notes in the notebook.

The pin-to-top feature is implemented with the database indices.
Changing the indices based on the configuration would cost a lot to update by design.
Iā€™m not planning to support such dynamic indexing at the moment for performance reason.